Thursday, June 28, 2007

Oops... I Wooted.

Most of you know that I am a tremendous technophile, a gregarious gadget guru, a -- well, you get the point. I loves my electronic gizmos. Anyway, Woot.com is a wonderful site I've been checking daily for at least a couple years now. The premise is simple and cunning: Offer one product per day, heavily discounted, and when the product is sold out, that's it. Check back tomorrow, folks, at 1 a.m. EST. Maybe we'll have something you like.

I haven't wooted in some time, but tonight they had a great XM bundle for a really good price: an XM SkyFi2 (the satellite radio receiver) plus car kit (to listen to it in the car) plus boom box (to listen to it wherever) for a grand total of $50 + $5 shipping. It's refurbished, yes, but these things tend to hold up well over time. And it's still a substantial savings over what it normally costs.

So, I wooted. I don't woot very much -- the last time was in November -- but when I do, it's usually for something I've wanted for a long time. Like Roomba! As for XM radio, I am a HUGE fan, and when I saw this deal, I knew I couldn't pass it up. I posted a comment in the Woot discussion board, explaining my rationale:
Jun 28, 2007 1:59 AM Awesome. I'm in for one.

I bought the first generation SkyFi with car and home adapters back in 2003, and it was one of the best music-related decisions I ever made. I am a big classical fan, and XM comes with two stations of classical as well as one devoted to nothing but choral and opera! Admittedly not for everyone... but its ability to cater to niche markets is what makes XM so great. Other fantastic stations are AudioVisions (new age stuff, think "Hearts of Space"), and Frank's Place (Sinatra-style).

The SkyFi is still going strong, but I left it back home with my parents. I thought I wouldn't need XM these days, since digital cable comes with all those digital music stations... but the programming is nowhere near as quality as XM, and I don't like having to keep my TV on (wearing out the LCD) to listen to it. This package deal is great. XM radio via satellite sounds much better than FM when you get a strong signal (which I almost always do). I'm especially excited that the SkyFi2 has a built-in FM transmitter -- I can finally use it in the car again! (Cars haven't had tape decks for years......)

I've never really been a fan of iPods and MP3s in general. I like a lot of variety in my music. And I love hearing new classical and choral pieces I wouldn't otherwise know about. XM is wonderful for all that. Before I tried it, I never would have PAID for radio. But once I tried it, I was hooked. And when you get used to studying or reading to a neverending stream of classical and choral on XM 110, 112 and 113, or relaxing in bed to Hearts of Space on XM 77... well, you don't WANT to go back to random MP3s. Or worse, to silence!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

---
My Woots:
• iRobot Roomba Discovery SE (11/6/06)
• Saitek Mephisto Travel Chess Computer (4/14/06)
• Kensington USB 2.0 PocketHub 2 pack (4/4/06)
• Mystery Brand 6 Piece 100 watt Speaker Set (11/18/05)
• ScreenPlay 4805 Entertainment Bundle (10/18/05)

1 comment:

Synaptotastic said...

When I was in high school I used to fall asleep to Heart of Space every Sunday night. NPR here does not carry it though; such is life when you live in the wilds of North Carolina.