Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Medallion

Cleaning my apartment, I came across two paragraphs I wrote 6 months ago on a piece of notebook paper. Apparently it's the start of an intriguing story. I'm not sure where I was going with this, but I like it and I want to share it with the world and get your suggestions as to What Next!
The star-shaped medallion had been laying in the field for so long, it no longer remembered what its purpose was. Several times over the years it thought someone had spotted it, thought a boy had seen the sunlight reflecting from one of its corners, was positive a girl had spied it glinting from just beneath the now dense growth of grass and weeds. But no -- if they saw anything at all, they must have dismissed it as a mere figment of their imagination, for the boy moved off, laughing and racing with his friends... and the girl merely giggled as she had at everything else in her field of view, and she skipped along, now laughing at the trees and the wind and the sunshine all around her.

And there the medallion sat like that, not-quite-seen. Years passed, as did generations, and son became father became grandfather, and more children came and went, playing and scurrying and working and growing old, oblivious, never truly seeing, and so never realizing that their lives need not end.

No comments: